Saturday, May 26, 2012

Train Watch Time - Folkston, GA

Not a long ride today, only 150 miles in five and a half hours. http://tinyurl.com/88vpya3
Nice A1A ride along the shoreline.

Got to Folkston a little after noon. Staying in the Relax Inn, nice place, recently remodeled.



Got unpacked and of course went down to Train Platform to watch a few trains go by.

I got started this morning by geting over to the Waffle House about 6:25am. Kelly was already mopping the floor.
 And everybody else was getting the place cleaned up. Not a customer (except me) in sight. Had the place to myself.

Went back to the motel, loaded up, turned my keys into Ish. Told him the toilet in my run was not refilling after flushing - but clean forgot to tell him about the two hypodermic needles I saw floating in the tank (not mine by the way). Wonder what he's thinking of me?

 Love this early morning riding - 7am. Sun just barely up, nice and cool.
 The image above and right below are on Pine Tree Dr, cutting over to Old Dixie Hwy.

 The next two pictures are right where I got on Old Dixie Hwy. This is part of what is considered 'The Daytona Loop', which my friend Bob #2 and I rode two weekends ago.


The Intercoastal bridge and Highbridge Park are also on the 'Loop', just before you turn north on the east side of the Intercoastal. This time I'm going straight another block to the coast and A1A.

 Just as you turn onto A1A. Speed limit for quite a ways beyond here is 55mph. Lot of modest homes on the ocean side, all on a ridge about 30 feet above the ocean.
 Really nice scenery along this stretch up to St. Augustine. Intercoastal on one side.

And the ocean on the other side.

This is the only shot I got in St. Augustine. I should have stopped and checked out the lighthouse and museum.
 This was a short ferry ride across the inlet at Mayport - Jacksonville


 The name on that red,  blue, and white yacht is "Jacks and Better".

 Seems like everybody drives on the beach anywhere above St. Augustine.

 These bikers from Warner Robins, Ga where staying in Waycross, Ga and dropped down to see some trains. I know so little about these trains and how to tell when they are soon to showup, but They though I was pretty smart about it, despite my protests to the contrary.
  Going to be here through Monday 'Memorial Day'. 
If you double click on the pictures, I believe they open full size.
Sure like to see more comments - just click on the word 'comments' right below here to open a box you can add your remarks - good or bad.

2 comments:

  1. Again great pictures! Looks like you are having a great trip. Maybe some time in the future I could go with you and Bob on a trip like this. Can't wait until tomorrow to see the new stuff. Have fun and be careful.
    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are having fantastic riding weather so far.

    ReplyDelete