Wednesday, May 30, 2012

"On the Road Again"





Willie Nelson - on U-Tube

Wasn't sure what direction I might be heading to - all dependent on what the rain storms where up to. Checking the radar first thing this morning, with storms coming in from the west, heading southeast, the choice was clear, head North as was planned for yesterday.
First breakfast, say goodbye to my motel neighbor, and one last stop to catch the southbound Amtrak.



Rode the "Woodpecker Trail" north. http://gowoodpecker.weebly.com/all-towns.html


This turned out to be a really great route (ever saw one woodpecker). Very little traffic, many times I would go 10 miles or more without a single car on the road.

 The beginnings of rolling hills - no more flat land - yea.



Did you notice the number of vehicles in these pictures. One.

These two pictures are in Metter, Ga, one of the two towns of any size I passed thru on this route (208 miles).

 A lot of these towns have older homes which I really like. They are rarely damaged in hurricanes or windstorms.


My one an only rest stop today was at this gas station/store at the intersection of hwy's 121 and 80. Absolutely nothing else anywhere around. I had a coke (I like pepsi) because he wasn't stocked up yet.


Here's where I landed today (about 3pm) in Augusta, GA. Took a swim and then off for some Mexican food - very good meal for little money. The two restaurants in Folkston are awful.
 Still can't hold a camera level.

 really modern styling.


As a side note. I though I might tell you that for my entire stay in Folkston I had this lovely lady as my next door neighbor, her name is Penny. On and off over the five days we would see each other and share a little conversation. Seems she was here because her mother was having a heart operation in some hospital in Jacksonville (she was staying in Folkston because she use to live here). She has two boys and a daughter, all grown up now. She works cleaning mostly new homes and businesses. She had a male 'friend' over from Hilliard (few miles south of here) several nights, so we only talked. She did 'kind of' 'sort of' promise to 'share' the caboose with me next time though. http://www.railsidelodging.com/index.php/about/the-caboose




Once again a reminder - if you double click on the pictures they will open full size.
Also please commend on this series. Rather sad that only 19 people at most, usually only 10 viewed this blog

.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great ride so far.

    Have you "reserved" the Caboose????

    ReplyDelete