Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Still Here

What I also decided yesterday after deciding to stay last night in the 'Roadmasters Lodge' was if Dixie would give me the same reduced rate I'd stay tonight to. So I'm still in Folkston - always like this town for some strange reason.
First a few early morning train shots from the porch of my lodge.




Did I tell you, yesterday I choose to do some laundry - wearing the same cloths for several days isn't one of my normal habits. When I went into the laundromat  I was surprised to find they also would do your laundry for you - for a dollar a pound - how nice. Another reason to like Folkston. So today I had nice fresh clothes to wear/
After eating breakfast (would you believe the waitress, after only two previous breakfasts knows me), and watching the trains above go by, doing a little grocery shopping, it was time for lunch. Staying in the Lodge or Caboose gets you a 20 percent discount at Dixie's "Whitslin' Dixie" shop for lunch. Tom (the guy that bought the house two lots down from the Lodge) showed up about half way through my lunch. We talked about a lot of things, mostly his house. He has a home and wife up in Canton, Ga. Hopefully his wife will enjoy coming down here when Tom gets the place all fixed up. Tom been a school bus driver for the last 10 years or so, use to work for the railroad as a 'conductor'. I guess once the railroad is in your blood it never goes away. Don't have any good pics of Tom yet, but here's the backside of him in Dixie's place at lunch - then one of him in his pickup truck.


That's Dixie on the right and my waitress on the right (sorry didn't get her name). Inside lighting was low, so slightly blurry pictures.

That's the tip jar, and the cook? on the right.

This place is fascinating, both what's in it and the building an furnishings. A good deal of what she has inside is railroad related, a lot of paintings of railroad scenes.
Oh, before I forget, I want to say that the BLT sandwich I had for lunch was perhaps the best BLT ever.It's hard to see, but the two light fixtures on the right are something I've never seen before - the light is in the center, but then sticking out on each side is like a regular fan, and it all rotates if memory serves me right.



Here's what main street Folkston, GA looks like. That's the county courthouse at the end of the street.



Here's the inside of the Roadmasters Lodge.







And this is Toms house her bought. You can see the railroad tracks just behind his truck.

Well, the plan for tomorrow is to see how far I can get towards home (about 330 miles). Hopefully it is not raining tomorrow. It has been raining her for the past couple hours now (9pm).

1 comment:

  1. Could it be that you are hoping for rain as an excuse to stay another day?????

    ReplyDelete