Monday, June 11, 2012

Always the Best Ending



Getting back home, in your familiar surroundings,your own bed, and most importantly seeing your friends again is the best ending to a little vacation. Getting back home with a whole lot better attitude helps.
I meet a lot of interesting people on this trip, a few I have spoken about, most got let out. Many conversations where started when stopping for fuel or whatever. Sometimes it was just wanting to know about the scooter; how fast will it go, what kind of gas mileage does it get, etc. Other times people noticed the Florida license plate; inevitably the conversation would start something like this "you rode that all the way from Florida?". Sometimes the talk would carry on for quite some time. Sitting on the 'Train Platform' always resulted in talking some about the train stuff, but often I would get little glimpses of peoples lives.
A lot of the motorcyclists that showed up at the 'Dragon', besides finding out where they where from, had some good riding stories - some about the spills they've had on the 'Dragon'. And the shear number of motorcyclist up in that area, western North Carolina, was almost unbelievable.
OK, here's some of the pictures I found, taken of me on the "Tail of the Dragon". There are at least two entrepreneurs, that maybe make a living photographing those riding the 'Dragon'. One is www.us129photos.com . Another is www.killboy.com.

These first three were shortly after I got to the Resort, but before I could check in, consequently I still have my stuff packed on the scooter. There was a slight drizzle at the time, wet roads. 


This next batch is after I got my room and unloaded my luggage. The rain had stopped.






And this one on Saturday morning as I was leaving.

Here's the stats on this trip - note that I didn't start the logging until somewhere after Ft. Pierce.

Stopped time includes all gas stops, rest stops, but usually not meal stops (like my two Mac coffee stops on my last day riding). Fuel cost is not there because I never told the GPS  my mpg.

Final thoughts.
While there were several days spent waiting out the rain in Folkston, GA over the Memorial Day weekend, it was well worthwhile, as I got the chance to know Penny a little better. The worry's over possible rain Wednesday coming home, really helped me start to drop some old behavior.
In the end this little sojourn has gotten emotions realigned with reality. I'm delighted the way it all turned out.
Hope you enjoyed.

Jack

3 comments:

  1. Just stumbled upon your blog. Sounds like a great trip. I enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack, Thanks for sharing. I came to your blog while looking for info on the SYM HD 200. I took a trip on my 150cc this summer & also rode the Dragon. You can see my blog at: http://the-coulee.blogspot.com

    I'm interested to know how you like the HD 200 for touring. You appear taller than me. I am 5'5" with a 28" inseam. No two flat feet on the ground for me, at least not while sitting on the seat.

    Keep riding & writing. Be safe.

    John Fabian
    Hanover, New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack - just read all of your blog - and yo can paint me green with envy!

    I have a new dream now....maybe goal is a better word. I WILL get to the Dragon on my Silverwing! I'm inspired!

    Great posts, and I really enjoyed many of your pictures. Seeing that Kymco burned up was sad, but heartwarming to hear they took care of her.

    Keep up the riding and blogging! I'll be back to FL in a few weeks and we'll have to go do the Tamiami run. Haven
    t done it myself, but heard it's a neat ride.

    My first long distance ride was from Ft Lauderdale to Key West - down and back in one day and zooming the turnpike. My sig other says "You don't need a SunPass....you won't be riding your motorcycle on toll roads"

    Added my bike to the SunPass account within a week. ;)

    Silly man.....he's just starting to figure out that riding comes as a second nature to me, and has committed that if I get a sidecar he will go with me. I have plans to buy a brand spankin new SWing in the next couple years. I plan to keep my 2004 and put the sidecar on that.

    I grew up on Motorcycles....Daddy was a biker and founded the Charter Chapter of the AMA in Montana back in the 50's. Have a baby picture of me somewhere on his FatBoy. It's how he met my Mama. They toured all over the US on their bikes. He is ever so pleased at least one of his kids is in the saddle.

    Keep riding Jack! They say "You never see a motorcycle parked outside a therapists office!" and I find that to be very true. My Key West ride was EPIC - and I plan to do it again SOON!

    May you have many many more miles of wind in your face and beauty in the rear view mirror!

    Hiedi

    ReplyDelete